Tropic Euro
Launch Tropic Euro
Facebook
Twitter
RSS

Ranking of AI

View the current roadmap and have your say about upcoming new features.

Ranking of AI

Postby ondra » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:10 am

Hi,
Could you also include bots into ranking to see how good they are versus humans?
ondra

Re: Ranking of AI

Postby ChrisGibbs » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:16 am

Hi ondra, thank you for the suggestion - this could be done in theory although it would then make all games ranked, which I'm not sure is desirable. Also, CPU Normal has quite a large amount of randomness built in to it, so the skill level of that player will fluctuate quite a lot from game to game. Another thing to consider is that the CPU Hard is actually a set of different players for each game size and also each position (and chosen at random each game), although an aggregate could just be taken I guess for a single entry in the rankings.

However, the main issue is that a good player could play a whole series of games against purely CPU players and win every time (especially against CPU Normal), thus pushing the RP values of the CPU players way down below their true representative values.

So, the two CPU difficulty levels will probably be left out of the rankings for now, unless someone can make a convincing case for adding them. I may reconsider though when the CPU Max difficulty level is added, as it might be useful to see how it compares against CPU Hard in the rankings - in this case CPU Max and CPU Hard would be added to the rankings, but not CPU Normal for the reasons above.
Chris Gibbs
Programmer/Musician at Inner Version Ltd
ChrisGibbs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Roadmap / Suggestions